About Me

My photo
I am married with two wonderful sons who are 18 and 11 years old and my 2 year old Baby Girl. I currently live in Reston, VA and have been working for Verizon for 18 years. I am a Licensed Zumba, ZumbKids, Zumba Gold and AquaZumba instructor. I am a Certified AFAA Group Fitness Instructor, a Certified AAI Aqua Fitness Instructor, an RRCA Certified Running Coach and a Certified Keiser Cycle Instructor. I love to exercise, run, do yoga and Pilates and most of all enjoy time with my family.

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Shoe Review: First Day in Karhus!!/Day 1
 
 

After being stuck on bed rest by my doctor due to higher than normal blood pressure for the past few weeks it was great to get back outside. I am 9 months pregnant and due anytime. I have been active throughout my pregnancy but being put on bed rest put a crimp in my activity. My running program came to a total halt while I was out on bed rest and it still isn't totally up to par but now that my blood pressure is back to near normal I am able to get out and moving again. 



My first day back on my feet I put on my new Karhu Stable Fulcrum Rides and set out for a jaunt around my neighborhood. I never used Stability shoes before in any of my runs because I have normal pronation and am a pretty good mid-foot striker. But, being pregnant and my body totally out of whack I thought that trying a Stability shoe would be a great way to get back into my running program. My feet have been pretty swollen lately due to the extra poundage from the pregnancy so I went with a half-size larger than normal. I was very happy that I did. These new Karhus are very comfortable. They have the perfect amount of cushioning in a mid-weight shoe. They felt wonderful to wear not only during my run/walk but also walking around the house. These running shoes could be worn on a daily basis for many different activities, not just running.

But, running is what they are for and I did do a little running while I was out. I have signed myself up for my first 1/2 marathon scheduled March 17, 2012 and my second 10 mile race on April 1, 2012 so I am in need of starting my race training. Not only will the exercise do me good but will definitely help me during the labor and delivery of my daughter. 
 
 

I started out walking for about 3 minutes and then went into a slow run/walk for about 10 minutes with a 1 minute run/1 minute walk transition. My pace was definitely slower than normal and I did more walking than running but that is to be expected with a baby on board! All in all I was out for about 20 minutes which includes a warm-up and cool-down. I only went about a mile which I wasn't planning on doing more than for my first day out. I will definitely start adding more time and mileage as I go further in my training and definitely once I have the baby. 



The Karhus definitely help to keep you moving in the right direction. In both walking and running I felt like the shoe was helping me along to keep my pace and keep my foot in the correct forward motion. As I was moving I definitely felt the way my foot rolled forward from landing on my mid-foot, rolling to my forefoot and then toeing off to take the next step. These are a great pair of shoes and I look forward to continual training in them!

My favorite feature of this shoe is the cushioning. It has the perfect amount of cushioning which not only made the walk/run comfortable but also made me feel like I was walking and running on air. I am a foot pounder so I really like a comfortable, cushioning shoe and these totally make the grade.

I look forward to Day 2 and beyond!

RUNNING SHOES: Stable Fulcrum_Ride
KARHU WEBSITE: www.Karhu.com
SHOE REVIEWER: Melissa Baldiwn
IF YOU WANT TO TEST KARHUS APPLY AT: http://www.facebook.com/likekarhu
IF YOU WANT YOUR OWN PAIR OF KARHUS: Karhu.com 20% off code: reviewermelissa (valid until 31 Jan 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment